Wednesday 8 February 2012

A fusion of tradition and modern styles

This traditional dress is called cheong sum or qipao by the Chinese, depending on which Chinese dialetcs.  It is also known as mandarin gown in English.  As I understood, cheong sum was created in 1920s in Shanghai and was popularly worn by socialites and upperclass women then, but it has since modernized.  Today, it has become a one piece, body-fitting, high collared and high cut dress.  They are worn only by some ladies to important occasions such as Chinese New Year and Chinese weddings, or as a formal wear.

I have found a very fine cheong sum designer, Lika Ruby, in Second Life and could not resist buying one.  As shown here, I am wearing a knee-length cheong sum in formal styling.  This dress also comes in a mini skirt version.  I love the mandarin collar most as it was created flawlessly!  In Lika Ruby's main store, there is a beautiful free cheong sum group gift!  (See the 3rd picture below).  

I have made a shape which I am wearing with my JOMO girl skin (see 1st and 2nd picture below).  I am more than happy to give it away if the proof of purchase on JOMO girl skin is shown to me.





What am I wearing?

Dress:  Lika Ruby ~ China dress Dia
Hair:  Amacci ~ Melody
Earrings:  WTG ~ Ayus {past group gift}
Bracelet: U&R DOGS {past group gift}
Shoes: R.icielli ~ Carmelia pumps
Skin:  JOMO ~ Girl skin 0093B
Lipstick:  L.Fauna ~ Red
Shape:  [I made this shape.  I will give this as a gift if proof of purchase on JOMO Girl skin is shown to me]



What am I wearing?


Dress:  Lika Ruby {group gift}
Hair:  W&Y ~ Agata
Earrings:  Virtual Impressions ~ Kerry 



No comments: